Monday, January 24, 2011

Brief thoughts on Winter 2011 Anime

As before, this is a list of the shows I have gotten around to watching and my opinions of them.

  • Gosick: Excellent show by Studio Bones, Victorica is a great character and the plot so far has been above par. I definitely recommend everyone give this show a try. 
  • Fractile: Also an incredibly refreshing show, the characters and settings are beautifully animated and acted. I felt like I was watching a Studio Ghibli work, this show leaves me with the same feeling of "timelessness" as many of Miyazaki's films. I highly recommend this as well. 
  • Hourou Husuko: I was skeptical at first. This show deals with two trans-gendered children struggling with their identities. It's certainly very heavy material but it is presented very well. Coupled with superb animation I would recommend trying this show at the very least. This and Gosick share the best OP and ED songs of the season IMO. 
  • Infinite Stratos: I was fairly let down by the fact that this is essentially a Harem show disguised as Mecha. Well, that may be a bit unfair, there is some quite well done Mecha action in this show, enough to keep me watching. I only recommend this if you have as much free time as I do -___-
  • Kimi ni Todoke II: A bubbly shojo series if there ever was one, I recently watched the first season and found it somewhat enjoyable so I started watching this. Nothing drastically different. If you enjoyed the first season you will not be disappointed.  
  • Dragon Crisis!: A rather silly show about a boy who rescues a girl from the hands of evil doers only to discover that she possesses supper powers and has lost her memories and now has a childish attachment to him. Too much loli and not enough plot, I'll pass on this one. 
Update: While I may have hated on Index for having too much fan service, right after episode 17 of Season 2 it is now my most anticipated show of the week. The new OP/ED singes are better even than Hourou Husuko and Gosick's. 

While I am actively watching fewer shows than last season I think several titles this season are absolute must watches. I'm overall quite pleased with how the season so far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment